Spring/Summer - 11/13/2020 - 02/01/2021
Summer - 04/16/2021 - 06/04/2021
Major Medical Fee Waiver Process
All Dental, Medical, Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Audiology and Speech Pathology students are required to be covered by a health insurance plan. The Waive/Enroll process for Spring 2021 will start November 13th. Watch for the email from Academic Health Plans in your University of Louisville student email account. Deadline for Spring Waive/Enroll is February 1, 2021.
*Please note: Healthcare Sharing plans and Out of State Medicaid plans will not be accepted to waive the student health insurance plan.
Questions? Please contact Academic HealthPlans Customer Service at help.ahpcare.com.
International Waiver Requirements
International students (F1 and J1 visas) are automatically enrolled in the SHIP. All international students are required to maintain coverage that meets the minimum requirements of their visa and complies with the requirements of the ACA. The UofL SHIP meets all of these requirements.
Question 1 - Does my plan meet at least one guideline?
International Students may be granted a waiver from enrolling in the UofL SHIP for any semester that the student:
- Is covered as a U.S. based employee or as a dependent of a U.S. based employee under U.S. based ACA compliant health insurance provided through that employment. employer sponsored ACA compliant group health plan.
- Is covered under a home country sponsored ACA compliant U.S. health insurance company.
- Is covered under a U.S. or other International organization’s ACA compliant U.S. health insurance company that guarantees payment of all healthcare expenses.
- If the health plans above do not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to SHIP.
If the answer is YES please proceed:
Question 2 - Does my plan meet all of the requirements?
Health care coverage for International Students must meet the ACA requirements for MEC (Minimum Essential Coverage). Such Coverage must provide, at a minimum:
- MEC as required by the ACA with no annual or lifetime limits,
- No exclusions for pre-existing conditions,
- Preventive care and women’s health care as required by the ACA covered at 100%,
- An annual deductible not greater than $500,
- Coinsurance that does not exceed 25% of allowable charges under the plan,
- Policy must include a list of the exclusions,
- International Students must also maintain coverage for repatriation of remains to their home country and medical evacuation to their home country. The benefit for repatriation may not be less than $25,000, and the benefit for medical evacuation may not be less than $100,000.
Note: Short-term Limited Duration plans (sometimes referred to as “travel plans”), or other similar health plans created for the purpose of providing coverage to International Students or non-immigrant visa holders, do not meet the requirements for International Students health coverage.
If your plan meets all the above requirements, please proceed:
IMPORTANT: Please have the following documents on hand before you begin the application process.
- A copy of your insurance card front/back
- A copy of your insurance policy summary or SBC
If you answered “YES” to the above questions, please click the link below to submit your waiver request. Deadline for Spring Waive/Enroll is February 1, 2021.